Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Planning for Potlucks

I'm facing what's one of the most difficult things for me tonight....the dreaded potluck, full of yummy goodies. I don't want to overeat, but I do want to enjoy it and not feel deprived.

How am I going to do this? I've been thinking about some strategies and have come up with the following:

1. Eat something beforehand. Choose something that's filling so I'm not as hungry at the potluck. Dr. Laura recommends eating an apple


2. Take my time deciding what I'd like to eat. See what's available and prioritize what's most appealing to me.


3. Make mostly healthy choices.


4. For the less healthy choices, have a small amount and take my time eating those. Enjoy the flavors.


5. Instead of feeling deprived, think about the progress I've made and am continuing to make.


6. If healthy vegetables are available, load up on them.


7. Drink lots of water.


8. Focus on my friends and not the food. Don't make the food the center of the event, but instead enjoy my friends.


9. Don't restrict myself from enjoying the less healthy foods. A little indulgence once in awhile is actually healthy and helps me stay on track with my journey to a healthier life.



If I keep all of this in mind, I think I'll do just fine :)

1 comment:

  1. Good luck! Most importantly, don't do/eat something you will regret in the morning! :)

    ReplyDelete