Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Recipe Reviews

As I continue on this lifestyle change, I'm going to evaluate the recipes I choose on their ease of preparation and taste.

Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Garlic and Pancetta
This was fantastic! I love brussels sprouts, and I'm always up for new ways to serve them that don't involve cream sauce. I made sure the brussels sprouts were cooked through by steaming them a bit first to begin the cooking. I purchased two 1lb bags of brussels sprouts at Trader Joe's and cooked each of them in the microwave for 2 minutes each, then I trimmed the ends, sliced them in half and mixed them with some olive oil, minced garlic and pancetta (which I also bought pre-diced at Trader Joe's). I baked them for 30 minutes until they began getting brown and the pancetta was crisping. Delicioso!!! :P
Easy to prepare: Very easy
Rating: *****

Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Garlic and Pancetta
Preheat Oven: 375-400 F.

1-2 lbs. Brussels sprouts
2-3 tsp crushed or minced garlic
3-4 tsp diced pancetta (or proscuitto)
3 tsp olive oil or to taste

Preheat oven to 375-400. Clean brussel spouts, cutting large ones in half. Put in a 9x13 pyrex dish and toss with garlic (I use jarred for convenience), pancetta (can buy diced at Trader Joes) and olive oil. Roast in the oven for 25-30 minutes, until brussel sprouts get a bit browned.


Orange Dream Cheesecake
I followed this recipe exactly, and am not that wild about this. It's too tart and tastes a bit dry. I'll make this again, but instead of the cream cheese I'll replace it with fat free ricotta and add some Splenda to make it a bit sweeter.
Easy to prepare: A little involved but still easy
Rating: **

Orange Dream Cheesecake
1 package sugar-free orange jello
2/3 cup boiling water
1 cup fat free cottage cheese
1 small tub 97% fat free cream cheese
2 cups 97% fat free Cool Whip

Dissolve jello in boiling water and let cool for 5 minutes. Place in blender with cottage cheese and cream cheese. Blend until well mixed. Place in a bowl and fold in the Cool Whip. Refrigerate


Goat Cheese and Basil Chicken Breast
Oh, yum :) If you love goat cheese and fresh basil, this is a great recipe. It was getting late in the afternoon when I began working on this recipe, so instead of slicing a pocket in each breast, I completely butterflied them and layered them with the goat cheese and basil. I sprinkled the bottom of the baking dish with the garlic powder and lemon pepper, then laid half of the butterflied breasts on top of that. Afterwards I cut up a log of goat cheese and placed that evenly on top of the chicken breasts, then tore fresh basil leaves and layered those onto the goat cheese. I then took the remaining chicken breasts and put those on top, then sprinkled them with more garlic powder and lemon pepper.
Easy to prepare: Fairly easy :)
Rating: ****

Goat Cheese and Basil Chicken Breast
Chicken breast, skinless, boneless
Goat Cheese, sliced
Fresh basil leaves, sliced or torn
Garlic powder
Lemon Pepper seasoning

Take the chicken breasts and butterfly (slice through the width, but not all the way, as you are creating a pocket).
Stuff a slice of goat cheese and about 1-2 T. fresh basil into each breast. Close up with some toothpicks so filling does not fall out. Season breasts on both sides with garlic powder and lemon pepper.
roast in the oven for probably 20-25 minutes at 375 degrees.


Rose
~ His Sweet Gypsy Rose

No comments:

Post a Comment