Saturday, July 10, 2010

What I've Been Doing This Last Year

Hi As you can see, it's been a few months since I last posted on this blog and just over a year since I last tracked my progress with living a healthy life.  A lot has happened since then.

My temp assignment at Vision Service Plan ended on July 31st, and I went on unemployment.  Finding more work was difficult, so I decided to try and go to school while on unemployment.  God had His hand all over that and blessed me in a tremendous way :)

I had no idea what the procedure was for starting school and being on unemployment, so I searched the California EDD website and found a pdf file about the California Training Benefits program.  In that pdf file, I read something about going to a Sacramento Works office to be approved to go to school while on unemployment, so I made my way to the nearest office and began the process.

Little did I know what lay in store for me...I went through the long, laborious process of trying to get my schooling paid for with a government grant, filling out paperwork and attending training classes at the Sacramento Works office.  I had to research the field in which I wanted retraining, see what the employment outlook was for it, and fill out a scholarship award packet.  I had to find someone who was an employer or employee in the field I had chosen and interview them as well.

God guided me every step of the way...it was awesome!  For the interview I had to do, I thought of a friend in my small group bible study.  I asked him if I could interview him and he was very kind and gracious in saying yes.  When I did the interview, one of the first questions I asked him was his title.  At that point I discovered that he was the chief financial officer for the Sacramento SPCA!  I found a big dog to interview!

My job history was pretty free-flowing...I took whatever jobs came along while working as a temp, and had never aimed for something specific before.  During the first couple of weeks after my temp assignment ended, I evaluated my career and looked at what made the most sense for me to pursue.  I chose accounting for a few reasons...numbers do what they're supposed to do, and if they don't, it's a mistake that can be tracked down.  I was also tired of being stuck with only a few career choices.  I've been a secretary, an admin assistant, I've done data entry in accounting departments, I've been a proofreader at a title company, a proofreading team lead there, and was a title examiner when I quit.  Accounting would fit into those job experiences quite well.

After I turned in the scholarship packet, all that was left was to wait and see if I got a scholarship.  One day I got a message from Jackie...I was approved!  The American Reinvestment and Recovery Act (ARRA) was funding my entire tuition to attend MTI College and go through their accounting technician program!  $16,000!  Wow!

I began school in October, and through the entire 36 weeks I managed to maintain a 4.0 GPA and graduate at the top of my small class My last class was on Thursday, July 1st, and I've been job-hunting since.

It's time for me to trust that God will bring me to the right job.  Most of the time I'm not worried about it; I keep searching online and applying, trusting that He will lead me to the right position and open the door to the job He has lined up for me. 

As for my working on losing weight, I didn't do much at all during this last year.  The good news is that I didn't gain any weight; I've been fluctuating between 232 and 237 lbs.  I can maintain my weight, which is good to know.

Along with looking for a job, I need to begin working on a healthy lifestyle again, that's my next challenge.  I have two options for exercise...walking and riding my bike.  Both are good, and doing either or both on a daily basis is my goal, as is keeping a food diary.

I'm not going to be following a rigid plan right now, although it might be better for me to do that.  At this point our budget is tight, so doing something like South Beach isn't an option.  Focusing on healthy food choices is the most important thing I can do, and that's something I have to do for the rest of my life.

The area I struggle with the most seems to be allowing myself splurges.  I find a reason to let myself have some type of splurge nearly every day, and that's not good.  If I want to lose weight and be healthier than I am now I can't keep doing that.

This brings me to this blog...writing about my efforts here will help me stay focused.  I need that :)  I'll be writing about all of that as well as the rest of my life.  Choosing to live a healthy life involves every aspect, not just diet and exercise. 

I hope you enjoy reading here, and that you share your thoughts and comments as well.  Those comments will be an encouragement to keep blogging away :)






No comments:

Post a Comment