Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Getting Back on Track

I haven't officially begun my healthy eating yet.   I've done my shopping and have purchased fresh and frozen fruits and vegetables, chicken breast and salmon fillets.  Whole grains, sprouted whole grain bread and some additional seasonings also made their way into my shopping basket.   There were other items as well.

I'm not following an official plan this time.   I need to develop a habit of healthy eating that's realistic and fits into the lifestyle of me and my husband.  I'll be working on portion control and proportions with my meals.  I'm using the portion guide at WebMD.com to help me determine proper sizes and amounts.

Tonight's dinner is chicken breast sauteed in a small amount of olive oil then I added some pesto.   I've also prepared a mixture of brown rice and Kashi's whole grain pilaf cooked in chicken broth and will be adding a bag of an asparagus vegetable mix.   I'll be heating that up in the pan in which I cooked the chicken so that the vegetables pick up that flavor.

Breakfasts will vary from 2 slices of sprouted whole grain toast spread with 1 1/2 tablespoons natural peanutbutter and topped with a sliced banana; steel cut oatmeal with fresh or frozen fruit and unsweetened vanilla soymilk; Yoplait yogurt with some granola and fresh fruit.

Lunches will be soups or stir-fries.  Dinner will be something like what I made this evening.   I still need to figure out snacks for me.   My husband will be snacking on things like cheesesticks and peanuts.  He needs to maintain or gain some weight, he's 6 feet tall and barely 150lbs.

Hmmmm...fresh cucumber with a lite cheesestick, or carrots and bell peppers with hummus.   Those are good snack ideas :)

Please feel free to share snack suggestions in the comments, I could use some help!

No comments:

Post a Comment